Girl’s hockey is predominantly played in the Autumn term for Years 7-10 with some midweek fixtures and tournaments in the Spring term, with Seniors (Years 11 - 13) playing up until the Summer term. We offer extra-curricular practices for all age groups and abilities and have a competitive fixture list for Wednesday (Seniors) and Saturday games (all other years). We regularly enter County and National School competitions for U13, U14, U16 and U18 age groups as well as competing in invitational tournaments.
Qualified coaches and specialist PE staff are committed to ensuring that all girls are given opportunity to play hockey as a key curriculum subject especially in Years 7-9 where it is taught to everyone in Games lessons.
Currently we have many girls representing East Cheshire or Derbyshire at JAC with some progressing onto JRPC and NAGS academy squads. In 2017-18 we had a record number of 28 girls representing County (East Cheshire/Derbyshire/Greater Manchester) sides. Our aim each year is to increase the participation levels in after-school hockey while also encouraging girls to join clubs outside of school to develop their game further.
King’s boasts a superb floodlit AstroTurf as well as a half pitch AstroTurf for both the boys and girls to use in Games lessons, extra-curricular practices and fixtures. The pitch is regularly used to host national age group training sessions as well as Gifted & Talented Workshops, due to the quality of the facility.
We regularly embark on overseas tours to enrich the sporting experiences of pupils. In 2018, pupils in Years 9-11 enjoyed a superb Tour to South Africa, in 2016 we took Years 8-10 to Spain and Gibraltar and in 2014 we took Years 10-13 to Barbados. In preparation for tours, pupils undergo a strength and conditioning programme to ensure their level of fitness is a match for the teams and hot conditions that are faced. The tours are a great cultural experience and combine with competitive fixtures against clubs and schools abroad. In 2020 we are planning on returning to either South Africa or Barbados on a Hockey and Netball tour for Years 9-11.
- 28 girls represented County Hockey (East Cheshire, Derbyshire and Greater Manchester)
- Zoe Thomas Performance Centre U17s
- Olivia Moores Performance Centre U17s
- Flossie Blackwell Performance Centre U15s
- Natalie Stevens England U18 Hockey Squad (GK)
- U13 team reached NW Semis Finals of National Schools Comp
- U13s reached quarter final of National Independent Schools Cup
- U14s competed in the North Finals in National Schools Comp
- U18s were County Finalists in County Competition
- U18s reached NW Semi Finals of the National Schools Comp
- 23 Girls represented East Cheshire
- Zoe Thomas (U15), Olivia Moores (U17), Natalie Stevens (U17), and Abigail Cook (U17) selected for Manchester Performance Centre
- Senior Team runners-up in the CHS 7s Tournament
- U12s Plate winners at the King's Chester Invitational Tournament
- 19 Girls represented East Cheshire/Derbyshire
- Olivia Moores represented the Pennine Pumas at HiPac U15 level
- Eleanor Toms and Annabel Hebb represented the Pennine Pumas at HiPac U17 Level and were part of the National Age Group Squads (NAGS)
- Natalie Stevens progressed to Futures Cup at U16 Level and is part of NAGS Academy Squad
- Abigail Johnston represented the North of England U21 Team
- Senior team runners-up in the U18 County Tournament
- U16 Stonyhurst 7s Tournament runners-up
- 15 Girls represented East Cheshire/Derbyshire
- U16 County Final runners-up (county tournament)
- U16 Cheshire Champions and progressed through to the NW round (National Schools)
- U16 Stonyhurst 7s winners
- Abigail Johnston represented North of England U21 Team
- Allana Buckingham, Eleanor Toms, Abigail Johnston and Natalie Stevens represented Manchester Pumas at JRPC Tier 1
- Eleanor Toms represented the Pennine Pumas at the U16 Futures Cup (JRPC Tier 2)
- Natalie Stevens represented the Pennine Pumas at U15 HiPac (JRPC Tier 2)
PREVIOUS HONOURS (FOR FORMER PUPILS)
- 2000 – U16 County hockey champions
- 2009 – U14 County hockey champions