Throughout the Protectorate and the Restoration, the school continued to flourish. A particularly distinguished master was appointed in 1674: Thomas Brancker, a gifted linguist and scientist who studied chemistry under Robert Boyle. By the start of the 18th century, however, a long, acrimonious and occasionally violent feud among the governors had caused the school’s reputation to plummet. Matters grew still worse when a drunken master was indicted for murder in 1716. As part of the long, slow drive to recovery, the governors bought Sir Peter Davenport’s house in King Edward Street (a house which had been commandeered by Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745) and the school moved there in 1748. School Bank was sold to a local button merchant for £120.