It was under TT Shaw (perhaps the school’s most legendary headmaster and certainly the first to be a member of the HMC) that the school first became known as The King’s School. TT held the reins for 33 years and is still recalled with awed affection. Under him, too, the school, direct-grant since 1926, also became a public school. The Second World War, which brought the deaths of over 40 old boys and masters, also brought 500 evacuees from Stretford. TT and the school coped with it all. By the time he retired in 1966, the school’s success and popularity had led to serious overcrowding. His successor, Alan Cooper, masterminded a major development programme and saw King’s continue from strength to strength.